The Coventry Cross of Nails is recognised around the world as a symbol of peace and reconciliation. Formed with three medieval nails from the destroyed St Michael’s Cathedral, it embodied its ministry of hope and friendship with Germany in the years after 1945.
With the rebuilding of Coventry Cathedral in 1962 the Cross of Nails, the original now embedded in the high altar cross, became the focal point of a growing international ministry of reconciliation.
In the mid 1970s those who had received a Cross of Nails were invited to come together in a common commitment to work and pray for peace, justice and reconciliation and the Community of the Cross of Nails was formed.
Today CCN Partners are to be found in many of the world’s major conflict areas. They include churches and community groups, as well as peacebuilding and reconciliation agencies.